Brampton Tennis Club HistoryTennis has had a long and interesting history in Brampton. Reports of its popularity as a local recreational sport date back to the 1880’s. The Brampton Tennis Club originated in 1885 as part of the Brampton Amateur Athletic Association. This Association, among other activities, created the first organized tennis courts for the public on the Rosalea Park grounds.
The location of the Club in Brampton changed from time to time during its first half-century or so of existence. However, in 1954 the Club sought assistance from the then Town of Brampton and was granted the use of part of Rosalea Park. And that year, with the creation of four clay courts on land that had been used as a lacrosse pitch, our current location took root. Over the years there have been significant changes such as overhead lighting, a clubhouse, additional clay courts as well as two hard courts, and an automatic sprinkler system.
Photograph: The Brampton Tennis Club in 1912 with the Haggert Foundry at the corner of George Street and Nelson Street in the background. Source: "What’s All the Racquet?" published by the BTC, Eva Andrews editor, 1988, p.41.
Thanks to the efforts of numerous Club members over the years the popularity of tennis has grown in Brampton and our Club has become a significant landmark on the local sports scene.
Three Club members – Amblo Wilby, Ralph Adsetts and Cecil Stokoe were officially recognized by the City for all their efforts and were inducted into the City of Brampton Sports Hall of Fame. Plaques to commemorate Amblo, Ralph and Cecil can be found in the Clubhouse. Recently, Bruce Carruthers and Bobby Mahal were recognized by the City and their plaques can be seen on our Clubhouse wall.
Over the years hundreds of players have learned the game at the Club through well-designed lessons offered by excellent coaches. And while most simply enjoyed recreational tennis, others with a more competitive nature took their game to a higher level. Some former members of the Brampton Tennis Club have even competed internationally; the best known is Jill Hetherington who played in professional tournaments worldwide including Wimbledon.
Today the Club continues to grow with over 400 members and numerous programs for all ages and interests.
For those interested in more information about the Club’s history, a wonderful book full of interesting facts was published in 1988. “What’s All The Racquet?” was edited by Eva Andrews with contributions from several long-time members. Although currently out-of-print, copies are available at the Brampton library and Region of Peel Archives.
Photograph: "Mrs. Jean (Anderson) Lawson and Alistair Murray on grass court on Jim Cooper’s property" at the corner of Main St. North and Lorne Street. Source: "What’s All the Racquet?", p.6.